Friday, September 4, 2009

Not Hiroshima but Lowyat?

In Penang, we have Char Kuew Teow.

In Melaka, we have Gula Melaka Chendol.

In Ipoh, we have Steamed Chicken Bean Sprout Rice.

In Klang, we have Bak Kut Teh.

In Ampang, we have Yong Tao Fu.

 

While in Japan, Sai-san have taught me that:

The finest Takoyaki can be found in Osaka.

But highlight of the day is Hiroshima Okonomiyaki!!

Okonomi means “What you like” or “what you want” and yaki means “grilled” or “bbq”… So basically it’s grill everything you like. PW wonder if it’s possible to add in marshmallow.

Unfortunately, I've never been to Hiroshima and Sony HQ in Japan is no where near it. Lucky enough Sai-san did manage to get me to try out Okonomiyaki at a bazaar near Japan HQ during one of the visit. But still he said the FINEST OKONOMIYAKI IS FOUND IN HIROSHIMA!!!

I think I missed Japan alot~~

Sigh~ So I have to settle for the next best thing nearest to Sony BANGI instead. While browsing through the World Wide Web for new Japanese buffet (We found one. Wait for it) I stumble upon this Okonomiyaki place in Lowyat.

Restaurant Jepun Okonomiyaki Citarasa Asli Hiroshima:Restaurant Jepun Okonomiyaki Lowyat
This shop give me the same feeling I have with all the restaurant in Japan. It is cramped.

The Okonomiyaki here is a little different from those I ate in Japan. A common version in Tokyo is more like a flatten Takoyaki with more flour, ‘liu’ and without yakisoba.

After a long look at the menu, we ordered Tuna Okonomiyaki
okonomiyaki tuna

and the Okonomiyaki All Stars
okonomiyaki all star

All Stars contain all the ingredient available except Tuna in one Okonomiyaki as illustrated below.Okonomiyaki all star

The dishes are served on a hot “teppan” in front of the chef cooking just like how they do it at Mr. Teppanyaki. PW enjoyed the whole session till the bit.starting off okonomiyaki

They even have this notice on the table just like how Japanese like to do with any warning or notice. Again I miss Japan.
okonomiyaki teppan

The chef give me a feel of a Japanese where they will strive for perfection for every dish. The dish he prepared must be in perfect shape, same amount of ingredient and neatness with no loose cabbages around. A little bit of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) I must say.

PW was particularly interested with the chef (guy) with his muscular arm Rolling Eyes performing all the kung fu moves with the spatula. Sigh looking like this –> Day dreaming
okonomiyaki chef
I’ve tried to get more photos here but his moves are way too fast to be captured by a camera. But anyway if you are interested, do stop by at the shop and have a peek girls…

I can’t stand how PW kept staring at the chef moves so I tried to pull out some kung fu moves with the spatula and some muscles… Big Grin Keng mou…
DSC01911

The shop did a very good job in serving the food in terms of friendliness and cleanliness. There was once I asked for extra Okonomiyaki sauce on my dish. The waitress said that they have run out of it so they never allow us to add on our self. Still she gave me a few good squirt to make my dish taste better!

I think it is a little pricey. Our total bill sums up to about RM50. However, I think the price is just alright since I got the last one at about 500 yen so conversion is around RM20.

The Okonomiyaki here taste alright for the Malaysian standard but it is near to nothing even if you are comparing to those Okonomiyaki that you can get at the street side in Tokyo.

I want to go Japan again~!! I-ta-da-ki-mas!!

 

Restaurant Jepun Okonomiyaki @ Lowyat
Location: LG Lowyat Plaza near the ATM machines

Food: 4.5/5 nibbles.
Cleanliness: 4/5 nibbles
Pricing: 2.5/5 nibbles
Service: 4.5/5 nibbles

 

Missing Japan,

Catfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts: